My new favorite week night dinners and after school snacks, are flatbread pizzas. Everyone can create their own personal pizza, so I like to bake up a bunch and stick them in the freezer. With flatbreads on hand, it’s simple to grab them and get creative. I’ve got a collection of different Flatbread Pizzas my family really enjoys. My youngest devours the Caramelized Onion and Arugula Pizza. It’s topped with a couple of her favorites, caramelized onions and fresh cherry tomatoes. But, every great pizza starts with an excellent crust. While you can easily pick up flatbreads at your local grocery store, why not try making your very own Homemade Fluffy Flatbread. It takes just a few ingredients and doesn’t take long to make.
The best part of this recipe is that it doesn’t require yeast. So, there’s no lengthy wait times allowing the dough to rise. So, if you have flour, salt, baking powder, and olive oil, you can easily pull this together. Adding a little pure maple syrup will sweeten the bread. But if you really want to get creative, try adding some herbs to spruce it up even more.
This flatbread recipe is perfect for a beginner cooks because it takes just a few ingredients and doesn’t required any special baking skills or tools. Just start by using two separate bowls. In one, combine the dry ingredients and in another, the wet ingredients. Create a hole in the center of your dry ingredients and pour in the moist. Without overworking the dough, gently fold the mixtures together. You’ll want the dough to be moist and easily pliable. If you find the dough is too dry, just a small amounts of water until you reach an easily pliable consistency.
Now, move your dough onto a floured surface and knead it 8 -10 times until it is smooth. Cover your dough with a clean towel and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. Because there is no yeast, this dough won’t rise. But, by allowing your dough to rest, you are helping it bind and come together.
Cut your dough into 3 – 6 pieces, depending on the size your are looking for. For personal flatbread pizzas, you’ll want larger breads. I find that 4 sections allows for large enough flatbreads.
Shape your pieces into balls and roll them in a bit of flour. Using your hands, flatten them out into about a 1/2″ thickness. Place your dough on a floured surface to roll it out into a 1/4″ thickness. The dough will fluff up as it bakes. The thinner the dough, the more firm and crisp the texture. For a softer, more fluffy flatbread, use the 1/4″ thickness.
Bake your Homemade Fluffy Flatbread on a lightly greased griddle, electric skillet or large frying pan. Allow about a 1/4″ between breads as they bake. They will rise up a bit, so you don’t want to over crown them. It takes about 7 – 10 minutes for them to bake up golden brown. Once they are finished, you can either wrap them in towel to keep warm and serve right away, or allow them to cool before freezing. It’s great to bake up a couple of batches at once. That way, you have some ready and on hand. Enjoy.
Homemade Fluffy FlatbreadCuisine: BreadDifficulty: Easy
Every great pizza starts with an excellent crust. You easily pick up flatbreads at your local grocery store…or…try making your very own Homemade Fluffy Flatbread.
2 cups Bread or All-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Coarse Kosher Salt
2 T. Olive Oil
3/4 – 1 cup room temperature water
1 1/2 tsp. pure maple syrup
- Using 2 bowls, combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt) in one and the wet ingredients (oil, water, syrup) in another.
- Dig a hole in the of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in. Using a spatula, gently fold the mixture until it just comes together. Your dough should be easily pliable. If it is too dry, you can add small amounts of water until you reach the desired consistency.
- Transfer your dough onto a floured surface and knead 8 – 10 times. Cover with a towel and allow it to rest and bind for 10 minutes.
- Divide your dough into 4 – 6 sections. Create balls and roll each ball in flour to coat. Roll out your dough into 1/4 thick circles.
- Bake your bread on a lightly greases surface, cast iron griddle, electric frying pan, or a large skillet. Allow some space between the breads, as the bread will rise and fluff up as it bakes.
- Bake over medium high heat, until each side is a golden brown. This generally takes 8 – 10 minutes.
- Serve warm or allow to cool before storing.